[June 20, 2023] — It appears that misinformation is being circulated related to last night’s county budget vote. Apparently, there is a rumor circulating that the proposed budget considered last night had a different proposed tax rate than the budget that was presented on May 15 and for which the public hearing was held on June 5. That rumor is false.
The process of developing our county budget is one that plays out over many months. Our staff began working on the budget that was adopted on June 19, 2023 back in early November 2022, nearly two weeks before the first Commissioners’ strategic planning and goal-setting workshop. Here is a timeline of relevant events in the budget process, which lasted a total of 223 days:
- November 21, 2022: Commissioners’ strategic planning and goal-setting workshop (advertised and open to the public)
- January 17-18, 2023: Commissioners’ county-wide goal workshop (advertised and open to the public)
- May 1, 2023: Budget workshop 9 am – 3pm (advertised and open to the public)
- May 11, 2023: Detailed, 3-inch-thick binders with the preliminary budget available to board members.
- May 15, 2023: Manager presents recommended budget and proposed tax rate of $0.3425 to the board during regular, public board meeting; board members directed to send concerns to the manager.
- The May 15 agenda is here https://brunswickconc.portal.civicclerk.com/event/1649/overview
- The proposed budget ordinance from May 15 agenda is here: https://civicclerk.blob.core.windows.net/stream/BRUNSWICKCONC/9a76f1ab-dd82-4e4a-a2db-764fb29fac07.pdf?sv=2022-11-02&st=2023-06-20T18%3A54%3A53Z&se=2024-06-20T18%3A59%3A53Z&sr=b&sp=r&sig=%2F%2BPmRs30rVDjGax4GJTmU%2FiS7YB2CzfEX20%2FFrhy7CM%3D
- June 5, 2023: Final budget workshop 1-3 pm; public hearing on the proposed budget and previously proposed tax rate of $0.3425 at afternoon meeting
- June 19, 2023: Budget adopted with a rate slightly lower ($.3420) than that recommended by the manager.